Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Intro to this site.

Hi, my name is Tara. I've got a medical condition that's had me playing hot-potato through the medical establishment for over 20 years. I've had the most bizarre things said to me on the long, frustrating road to a diagnosis. 1

This site is meant to be humorous, and occasionally snarky. It is not meant to bash on doctors. There are good doctors, there are crappy doctors, but all of them put in long hours and deal with a kind of stress I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and they do it with professionalism and -hopefully- compassion. The ER attendings and interns, especially, have my respect even when I catch them on a bad day, because in addition to my emergency, they've dealt with dozens or hundreds of others and had to do it on too little sleep, too much caffeine, and for far too little thanks.

This is for those of us who leave the offices with either a small chuckle or a big dent in the desk from banging our head on it, and a place to blow off some steam so we don't take it out on the poor doctors and where we can commisserate with others. The road to recovery sometimes really, truly sucks and if you don't laugh, you wind up screaming.

Enjoy!



1Acute Intermittant Porphyria - random attacks of excruciating, debilitating abdominal pain with no physical reason and no cure. Currently treating with diet and life changes, and as of April, I will have finally spent one entire year without an ER visit. I've literally spent over 20 years with this, every so often feeling like a badger is ripping its way out of my abdomen, going to the ER, having a zillion and one tests run with no results, being pumped full of demerol and tygan and being sent home because there was nothing they could do without a cause.

No comments: